htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
What does this error mean

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Aaron Edwards
Novice

Feb 2, 2005, 6:30 AM

Post #1 of 4 (6047 views)
Shortcut
What does this error mean Can't Post

This comes up when I load reference.html (in the root html area folder), but not when I load core.html in the examples folder.

It says...

Code

Error: You must called HTMLArea.init() first. Like this:

HTMLArea.Init();

HTMLArea.onload=function() {

var editor = new HTMLArea ('editor');

editor.generate();

};

What I don't understand is why the error would come up on one of the included pages, and why on one, but not the other. Of course I tried putting the above code in various places, such as in the onLoad event handler. It stopped the error message, but it didn't generate an HTMLarea.

Thanks.

Aaron

tgoyer
New User

Feb 2, 2005, 8:07 AM

Post #2 of 4 (6038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aaron Edwards] What does this error mean [In reply to] Can't Post

They made a change to the way you instantiate an HTMLArea, but haven't updated a few examples yet. So.. you get the error msg.

Basically, it's telling you that you have to execute the init function of the HTMLArea object before attaching any event handlers (such as onLoad) to it.

Hope that helps!

Tim

Aaron Edwards
Novice

Feb 2, 2005, 11:03 AM

Post #3 of 4 (6024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tgoyer] What does this error mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that did it. Wow! This is a great tool. That KillWordOnPaste feature is priceless.

Aaron

moorsie
New User

Feb 8, 2005, 12:56 AM

Post #4 of 4 (5904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tgoyer] What does this error mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having a few probs with this. When I add the code it asks for it doesnt display the editor...any ideas?

Search for (options)