htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
Where is HTML factory in HTMLArea 3.0 ?

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

Aaaxl
New User

Apr 14, 2004, 2:55 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3820 views)
Shortcut
Where is HTML factory in HTMLArea 3.0 ? Can't Post

Hello,

I'm trying to plug HTMLarea 3.0 rc1 in a Wiki (Wikini, see http://www.wikini.net)

Basically, the idea is to produce a Wysiwyg interface while editing wiki pages.

Because textareas are wiki's main place to write in, replacing textareas by HTMLareas seems to be a cool idea.

Initial behavior
---------------
Initial wikini behavior is to represent HTML tags by simpler wikini tags in edition mode.

Example :

When you type "Hello **cruel** world" in wikini, you will have a bold rendering for "Hello Cruel word".

Other examples :

wikini : ======My title 1====== -> HTML <h1>My title 1</h1>
wikini : =====My title 2===== -> HTML <h2>My title 2</h2>
etc..

State Changes
-------------

The schema below represents the main state changes

[SGBD ] ------- (A) ---------> [display] and [Edition]

[SGBD ] <------ (B) ---------- [display] and [Edition]

NB : wikini code in [SGBD], HTML code in [display] and [Edition]
(A) : convert from wikini code to HTML code
(B) : convert from HTML (HTMLarea output) to Wikini code

Question
--------
My problem is under (B) process. Because I don't know how and where HTMLarea is building HTML code (I didn't find the HTML 'factory' in htmlarea.js javascript code), I get for example this output HTML (that I am not able to convert to wikini code) :

Code
      <h3 style="font-weight: bold;"> 

or

<span style="font-weight: normal;">

... because I would preferred non combined HTML tags.

Does anybody knows where to get help on "how" and "where" to change HTMLareas's HTML tags generation engine to get simples tags ?

Thank you by advance.

ytztech
Novice

Apr 20, 2004, 12:20 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aaaxl] Where is HTML factory in HTMLArea 3.0 ? [In reply to] Can't Post

It appears that you've discovered the wonderous world of browser-based editors, better known as the bugs from hell that will never be fixed by HTMLArea. I'm guess you're using HTMLArea with Mozilla/Firefox, based on the style properties on those tags in your message. There's nothing that can be done about that, mate. It's not even the same in IE, which seems to love using the traditional <b> and <i> over <strong> and <em>.

All you can do is code to clean up the code afterward, which will be a real f'ing nightmare. Certainly there should be a way to forego the Wiki tags and store the result as is...that's your only hope, I'm afraid.
--
Justin White, CCNA MCSE
Consultant / YTZ Technical Services, LLC

Aaaxl
New User

Apr 20, 2004, 4:08 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3755 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ytztech] Where is HTML factory in HTMLArea 3.0 ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, thanx a lot !
Yes, I'm using Mozilla !

To clean-up, I tried 2 ways :
- XSLT (I deedn't succeded)
- Regex (seems to work, tag per tag...)

Well I'm going to fight before to surrednder and store html in the database.

Aaaxl

xing
New User

May 18, 2004, 7:27 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aaaxl] Where is HTML factory in HTMLArea 3.0 ? [In reply to] Can't Post

i am very interested in your progress Aaaxl. if you are still working on this feature or if you have already completed your work, could you please let me know?

thanks

Search for (options)