htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
absolute/relative

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

jomes
Novice

Jul 12, 2004, 8:15 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3669 views)
Shortcut
absolute/relative Can't Post

Hello,

I use htmlArea and I pasted text into the editor. When I save it and I watch the text in my browser I see it saves Absolute paths.

For example.

I paste <a href="henkie.php">Henk</a>
When I save it look come back to edit it, HTMLarea replaced it with
<a href="http://localhost/smarty/admin/henkie.php">Henk</a>

So my links does not work anymore.

Is there a workaround to make my links relative?

Thnx. Jomesie

(This post was edited by jomes on Jul 14, 2004, 2:05 AM)

Sliver82
New User

Jul 13, 2004, 4:03 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jomes] absolute/relative [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I have a similar question:

I'm mostly interested in dragging stuff into the editor... Therefore, I very much appreciate IE's capabilities of converting relative links (e.g. for images) into absolute ones. One example is dragging an image from e.g. www.google.com which is displayed by a relative path.... IE converts this relative path into an absolute one (upon dropping), so that my editor has no problems in displaying it. Mozilla, for example, does not do that at all, but keeps the relative URL, and is therefore not able to display that image correctly.

Now, 1.) is there a way to correct this problem in Mozilla? I know that this is an item on the bug-list, but maybe a solution has been found in the meantime...

2.) When dropping text or images from a webpage, I'm interested in retrieving the base url of that document. Since IE converts relative paths to absolute ones, it MUST have access to the base-url of that document (otherwise it would not be possible to do the conversion).... now, is that base-url also accessible via JavaScript?

Any hints are greatly appreciated.
Best,

Sliver

tsokaloshi
Novice

Jan 19, 2005, 7:20 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3178 views)
Shortcut

I have the opposite problem , I paste my HTML into the editor under HTML mode, as soon as I put it over into design mode, it creates relative paths and removes the abslute paths, still no solution for me to keep them relative :(

LupoLoko
New User

Jan 20, 2005, 5:06 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3157 views)
Shortcut

I have this problem too... :(

mummybot
Novice

Jan 27, 2005, 7:38 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3072 views)
Shortcut
Re: absolute/relative [In reply to] Can't Post

I have this problem too - but only in IE. Mozilla seems to work fine Smile but as I have other problems with Mozilla I am stuck using IE Frown

c0rw
Novice

Feb 7, 2005, 2:41 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mummybot] absolute/relative [In reply to] Can't Post

I have same problem with IE - mozilla works fine... pls, any idea?

mummybot
Novice

Feb 7, 2005, 3:36 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2974 views)
Shortcut

Hey all,

Not sure if it helps, but I got sick of my installation of HTMLarea and all the browser specific issues that I was going through. I switched to a fork created by GOGO here at:
http://code.gogo.co.nz/products/htmlarea_fork.html

It seems to be really stable and has got rid of most of the issues which I have experienced. I just deleted the old htmlarea I had installed and copied this version to my server.Wink

Also note that it appears that you can set absolute/relative within one of the .js files - but it isn't a walk in the park so if you find an installation that works for you go for it.

Search for (options)