htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
apply css to text via dropdown

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

ilmarine
Novice

Aug 27, 2003, 10:12 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1003 views)
Shortcut
apply css to text via dropdown Can't Post

hi all,

the new v3 is great. there have been a lot of small bugs and some sleepless nights, but by now i have managed to get htmlarea working just fine. i have been developing/using it for some time now and am eagerly waiting for add-ons/plugins for this new version.

however, the one thing that i haven't managed to get my head around is a simple css select box. i know that in v2 it was pretty straightforward to apply styles to selected text via a dropdown (and even to get those styles from a css file using php), but in v3 this seems to be almost impossible. mostly thanks to the mozilla using weird styles to apply formatting (not that i am complaining). i have read some threads on the same or similiar topics but as far as i know nobody has posted any new plugins or even any significant ideas how to accomplish this. so, my question is, is anybody working on something like this? if so, when will the add-on be ready and if you don't mind me asking, how are you going to accomplish this?

this is not a matter of life and death but it would still be pleasant to get my hands on something like this in the near future (i AM aware of the fact tha beta was released only a short time ago ;)

P.S. i have managed to build new insert link and insert image popups for v3 beta using Vinay Yadav's (or vinayRas as he's know here) code for v3 alpha. i believe that i have also managed to remove some bugs and problems his releases had (especially those relating to getting the values back from the popup and inserting the code for a new item). i don't think that this code is the best or cleanest in the world, but it does the trick. so, if anybody is interested, i wouldn't mind sharing the code (although you have to bear in mind that the code is specifically written for a cms i am building).

P.P.S. it would also be nice to know what other add-ons other people are working on (including projected timelines and the specifics of the code), so maybe you could shed some light on your pet projects in this same thread or maybe even in a new one started specifically for this purpose.

i know this was a long post, but i still hope to get some feedback and ideas ;)

sincerely,

peeter

intuitiveye
New User

Aug 28, 2003, 1:46 PM

Post #2 of 2 (987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ilmarine] apply css to text via dropdown [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't started using HTMLArea yet, but I'm looking for a similar implementation as you seem to be requesting. I've developed a pretty complicated template system for several websites. Each site within the template wrapper has access to various CSS classes for special formatting. I'd like to integrate a way that my content authors can easily select these classes and apply them to their content.

I apologize if this has been addressed already, but like I said, I have not started using HTMLArea yet and am not quite sure what I'm up against.

Search for (options)