htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's?

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DarrylB
User

Jun 15, 2004, 3:20 PM

Post #1 of 35 (3650 views)
Shortcut
htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? Can't Post

Im running into a few bugs with htmlArea 3.0 RC1 myself. Two of the biggest ones are when two spaces are side-by-side I get weird A's that have a little halo over them. I saw that refered to in another posting though...never saw a fix...

The other issue i am personally having is that my img and a href links get ruined no matter what i do. Once i submit them in, htmlArea modifies them and they never work. Even if i manually modify the html it doesnt work...

They start out like <a href="blah.html"> but after submission they end up like <a href="/""blah.html"/"> (something like that... not exactly)... And needless to say, that type of link wont work... Whether htmlArea creates the code or not...

My email is dbarney@southernunion.com any help is appreciated!

DarrylB
User

Jun 18, 2004, 7:35 AM

Post #2 of 35 (3616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DarrylB] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone have any suggestions?

agf
User

Jun 18, 2004, 10:08 AM

Post #3 of 35 (3608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DarrylB] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

Check the bug fix list here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/itools-htmlarea/

So, existing liks get changed? Or inserted links?

Also, couldn't hurt to update your .js files at the above URL.

DarrylB
User

Jun 18, 2004, 10:10 AM

Post #4 of 35 (3607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agf] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

Both types of links.

agf
User

Jun 18, 2004, 10:18 AM

Post #5 of 35 (3605 views)
Shortcut

ok, give me a before and after example.

<a href="http://www.microsoft.ca/">Microsoft</a>

agf
User

Jun 18, 2004, 10:21 AM

Post #6 of 35 (3604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agf] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hold the phone, it's after submission that the HREF's are aced? Are you sure it's HTMLArea? What kind of processing are you doing to the sumbitted data?

I just dropped this in both RC1, and the latest CVS build ... every worked as it should..

<a href="http://www.microsoft.ca/">Microsoft</a>
<a href="link_test.htm">LINK TEST</a>

DarrylB
User

Jun 18, 2004, 10:53 AM

Post #7 of 35 (3603 views)
Shortcut

I dont think any of my php is doing any processing that would cuase that... BUt ill look it over again... Ill shoot a response back to you on monday. Office closes in 10min

agf
User

Jun 18, 2004, 10:57 AM

Post #8 of 35 (3602 views)
Shortcut

NP.

Close in 10, eh?

Lucky you... 5 more hrs here :)

joakim
Novice

Jun 22, 2004, 10:32 PM

Post #9 of 35 (3561 views)
Shortcut

I can report the same problem: all quotes within hrefs get replaced by backslash+quote when html is code saved from within htmlarea. We're running on Xserves (OS X Server v10.2) and PC clients with a derivative Mozilla 1.4. Essentially, this makes htmlarea useless for us. Any wisdom for what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, -Joakim
P.S. A couple of other anomolous behaviours which may or not be related:
(1) link embedding tool from within the wysiwig editor does not work (the editing dialog comes up, but "ok" button does not dismiss dialog and no link gets embedded into text);and
(2) Cut/copy/past generates Mozilla error "Unpriviledged scripts cannot access Cut/Copy/Paste programatically for security reasons" This error does not occor within the html code text editor within htmlarea (note that drag&drop "pasting" *does* work)

(This post was edited by joakim on Jun 22, 2004, 11:01 PM)

agf
User

Jun 23, 2004, 10:08 AM

Post #10 of 35 (3551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joakim] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

Server OS doesn't matter as it is all client side code.

What is 'a derivative Mozilla 1.4' ?

Have you tried the latest build?

Have you tried a full release of Mozilla, not a 'derivative'?

joakim
Novice

Jun 23, 2004, 7:13 PM

Post #11 of 35 (3534 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for your quick reply on this...

>>What is 'a derivative Mozilla 1.4' ?
This is the ManyOne Browser Beta, available at www.manyone.net (we actually plan to rev this to Mozilla 1.7 in the near future)

>>Have you tried the latest build?
We're using 3.0RC1 (is there a complete build post RC1? I found updated individual files at SourceForge, but not a complete build)
I did try 3.0Beta, and link imbedding & wysiwig pasting *does* work. However, I haven't yet been able to check whether href mangling also disappears (I need to get our systems guy to install it on our system before I can try saving files).

>>>Have you tried a full release of Mozilla, not a 'derivative'
Due to the security framework in our system, I can't test saving files with standard Mozilla. However, I can verify that Mozilla 1.7b exhibits the same problems with link embedding and wysiwig pasting as our ManyOne browser based on Mozilla 1.4 (note that all tests are done using a Win XP client).

Any ideas what we should try next?
Thanks,
Joakim

agf
User

Jun 24, 2004, 8:35 AM

Post #12 of 35 (3519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joakim] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

that's very strange...

I'm not sure if the derivative is supported, but if the same problems exist with Moz 1.7 ... odd...

Try grabbing the HTMLArea folder from SourceForge. That is the latest and greatest... I have been using HTMLArea for a few months now without any trouble... both Moz & IE

DarrylB
User

Jun 24, 2004, 1:03 PM

Post #13 of 35 (3507 views)
Shortcut

Okay, I now have time to work on this.

Yeah, im still having problems. I checked my code, and made sure PHP was not doing anything to it. For some reason, HTMLAREA is doing this weird backslash and quote thing with all url links. Same as the guy who posted a msg here as well.

Im using htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 of course, im also using Windows 2003 Server (Web Edition) And im saving to a msSQL Database.

Any suggestions?

joakim
Novice

Jun 25, 2004, 1:36 PM

Post #14 of 35 (3480 views)
Shortcut

>>>Try grabbing the HTMLArea folder from SourceForge.

I see the latest HTMLArea files, but haven't worked with SourceForge before... is there a simple way of pulling down the files as a complete HTMLArea folder, or do I need to pull them down individually (sorry for the *dumb* question)?

Thanks,
Joakim

joakim
Novice

Jun 25, 2004, 3:33 PM

Post #15 of 35 (3474 views)
Shortcut

Ok, nevermind -- we've got this under control for getting the latest files. One question, though: will there be a post-RC1 build in the near future?
Thanks again,
Joakim

DarrylB
User

Jun 28, 2004, 8:10 AM

Post #16 of 35 (3406 views)
Shortcut

Getting the latest .js file for me, was no help. Ive also confirmed my php is not the problem.

lunatic
New User

Jun 28, 2004, 5:54 PM

Post #17 of 35 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Are you sure you don't have magic_quotes_gpc enabled in your php.ini? It automatically escapes all quotes in from global variables ($_POST and $_GET vars). If it's enabled (usually is) try disabling it to see if that helps. If not just strip the slashes from the html with stripslashes()

DarrylB
User

Jul 1, 2004, 9:00 AM

Post #18 of 35 (3344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lunatic] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, i think that fixed it... Time will tell... I will keep you guys updated.

DarrylB
User

Jul 8, 2004, 1:02 PM

Post #19 of 35 (3236 views)
Shortcut

Well, disabling magic quotes fixed the problem with the url's...But those weird Halo'd A's are still showing up.... thats weird...

jazzyjez
New User

Jul 9, 2004, 8:24 AM

Post #20 of 35 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Are you storing the contents of the form in a database? If so, it may be a problem with character sets. I have had a problem like this in the past. It's hard to tell from your description whether this is the case, but it is a possibility.

I suspect you are using UTF-8 encoding in your webpages, and ISO-8859-1 (or some other encoding) in your database. Remember that with most databases (including MySQL) your you have to specify the character encoding used in your tables (so it knows how to sort the data alphabetically, capitalise correctly etc), and if you pass it data in an incompatible encoding it will get mangled.

The quick'n'dirty solution to this is to have a line like this before you put the content in the database (PHP):

$content = iconv("UTF-8", "ISO-8859-1", $content);

But of course if your content has characters that cannot be expressed in ISO-8859-1 they will get borked.

The proper solution is to use the correct encoding in your database, but since MySQL only provides proper UTF-8 support in version 4.1 this may not be an option. The alternative is to change your pages to use ISO-8859-1 (or whatever the correct encoding is for users of your site) as their encoding.

(This post was edited by jazzyjez on Jul 9, 2004, 8:32 AM)

eepstein
Novice

Jul 10, 2004, 2:42 AM

Post #21 of 35 (3138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jazzyjez] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've run into a similar problem.

Using PHP I read the content portion of HTML from a file. It is the same file as is read for actual display in the templating system. One such file contains some page-links <a href="#somewhere_on_the_page">sub nav</a> which works just fine in the templating... Now when I load the same file into the htmlArea editor, those links are munged. Rather than a relative link these become absolute links! using the current page (the URL to my editor script!!!) as the base.

This is before the page is posted back (saved) to the server. Doing a "show source" in the browser I see the original links as they should be. but, clicking the html raw view in the htmlArea (<>) I see these absolute links. And, submitting the form returns the lengthy absolute URLs.

It seems to me that this is an htmlArea issue. I've downloaded the latest (39 hours old) htmlarea.js from CVS. Anyone else can confirm this an perhaps offer a fix?

jazzyjez
New User

Jul 10, 2004, 4:24 AM

Post #22 of 35 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eepstein] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I have this problem too. Again, my solution is server-side processing - specifically to search for "http://HOSTNAME" and replace with nothing.

eepstein
Novice

Jul 10, 2004, 5:23 AM

Post #23 of 35 (3128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jazzyjez] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see why the editor should change it in the first place. Sounds like a bug.

eepstein
Novice

Jul 10, 2004, 8:04 PM

Post #24 of 35 (3119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eepstein] htmlAREA 3.0 RC1 - Ruined a href's weird A's? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a side-effect of the getHtml() function that is invoked by HTMLArea on the textarea that it is replacing. so it seems this is just how textarea(s) is/are implemented. :( ... wonder what'd happen if we did a "gettext" instead...

eepstein
Novice

Jul 10, 2004, 9:08 PM

Post #25 of 35 (3117 views)
Shortcut

YUP!

and SOLVED !!! Solution posted in another thread.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options)