htmlArea

A directory of browser-based WYSIWYG editors

MAIN
INDEX
SEARCH
LOG
IN

Home: htmlArea 3 (beta): htmlArea 2 & 3 archive (read only): htmlArea v3.0 - Discussion:
htmlArea 3: Alpha release

The htmlArea 2 & 3 editors have been discontinued.

We've made these forums available as a read-only reference and knowledge-base for people using or developing editors based on htmlArea 2 or 3.

Anyone who is interested in taking over version 2 or 3 is free to do so. All we ask is that you choose a new name that doesn't have "htmlarea" in it to avoid confusion with this site. We'll even give you a link in the directory to make it easier for people to find you. If you are developing or hosting an htmlArea based-editor under a new name, please submit it to our directory.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Benjamin
Staff

Feb 17, 2003, 5:03 PM

Post #1 of 95 (84767 views)
Shortcut
htmlArea 3: Alpha release Can't Post

Hi everyone,

Here it is! The long-awaited ALPHA release of htmlArea 3: now Mozilla compatible! (Okay, so I'm pretty excited).

The program is attached to this post.

This is an ALPHA release - we're putting it out there for you guys to stretch it to its limits and weed out any bugs before we release a final version. You can test it out on our online demo: http://www.interactivetools.com/staff/ben/htmlarea3_demo/example.html
Ben
interactivetools.com

(This post was edited by Benjamin on Jul 2, 2003, 4:36 PM)
Attachments: htmlarea3_alpha.zip (50.7 KB)

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Feb 17, 2003, 5:22 PM

Post #2 of 95 (84415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Benjamin] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

And everybody... Keep in mind, this is alpha, there are lots of things we're going to change, lots of bugs, etc. Definitely not recommended for use in any production sites or software. In fact, at this point I wouldn't use it for anything except getting a sneak peek at what's coming. : )

You need Mozilla 1.3 BETA for this to work. It will not work in earlier mozilla version. Please feel free to post any suggestions or comments on the code.

Also, I wanted to give special thanks to Mihai Bazon for all his help with v3.0 alpha. We hired him to do a complete rewrite from 2.0 and he was instrumental in making this possible. You can visit his website at http://students.infoiasi.ro/~mishoo/

Lastly, we're setting up a SourceForge.net site for CVS and bug tracking. We'll post that info soon.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Luis
Veteran

Feb 17, 2003, 9:24 PM

Post #3 of 95 (84378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

http://students.infoiasi.ro/~mishoo/ is not working.

This url redirects to a Forbidden page. Could you post the correct address?

Thaks a lot.

Don't give up!!
http://webstationone.com/test/htmlarea

AtK
User

Feb 18, 2003, 1:43 AM

Post #4 of 95 (84353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

woho....

itīs AMAZING faster then htmlarea v2.0 ...

still a few bugīs, but realy impressive.

I think the need of a other browser-compatibilty then Internet Explorer are the few Operating Systems over the World (Mac/Linux/Windows) and i hope now we can go further to support other OS then Windows.

Letīs start on sourceforge and make this Editor as impressive as htmlarea v2, or even more :-).

greetz
AtK

rwired
New User

Feb 18, 2003, 2:53 AM

Post #5 of 95 (84340 views)
Shortcut

It's very excellent. Thank you very much to all involved with the upgrade.

redspider
User

Feb 18, 2003, 3:38 AM

Post #6 of 95 (84328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rwired] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmm,

Seems to work great, thank you for this version !!
greetz

Redspider
Belgium
http://www.tielt.be

ronan
Novice

Feb 18, 2003, 6:43 AM

Post #7 of 95 (84289 views)
Shortcut

It's blazingly fast, incredible ! Congratulations !

Here is the translation for tooltips in french.

Ronan
Attachments: htmlarea-lang-fr.js (0.92 KB)

Dave
Staff / Moderator

Feb 18, 2003, 1:26 PM

Post #8 of 95 (84214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luis] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

>http://students.infoiasi.ro/~mishoo/ is not working.

I'm not sure why the url is broken, I'll ask him about it. Maybe the server is down (or I have the wrong URL). : ) I'll ask Mihia to come say hi in the forum, in any case, I know he's had a lot of fun working on htmlarea.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

mishoo
User

Feb 19, 2003, 2:40 AM

Post #9 of 95 (84010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone,

Yes, there are problems with my website. In fact, with the university's servers (reinstalled recently, everything's messed up at the moment). Hopefully I'll get it back up today.
--
Mihai Bazon,
dynarch.com
Applied Web Standards

rene@laerke.net
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 3:25 AM

Post #10 of 95 (83574 views)
Shortcut

Great work,

still an alpha this seems extremely stable. Congratulations Wink

I'm still worried about the performance bottleneck in loading the toolbar. I'm not much of a cross-platform DHTML dude, but I was wondering if it was possible to integrate the solution I posted for 2.03 (see : http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=6235;search_string=search_string;t=search_engine)

The general idear is to use one or 2 image files with all images for the toolbar and combine span tags with clipping in the logic showing the individual buttons, which would decrease the load time by a factor 10 or more. (see primitive performance measures in replies to prior post).

Cool Rene'

mishoo
User

Feb 20, 2003, 5:07 AM

Post #11 of 95 (83527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rene@laerke.net] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Your idea is great. B-) Expect it to be implemented soon ;-)
--
Mihai Bazon,
dynarch.com
Applied Web Standards

basmul
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 9:12 AM

Post #12 of 95 (83390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mishoo] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Mishoo,

Since this is my first reaction first of all: GREAT WORK!
Let's make things better than 2.03.

When implementing this toolbar loading scheme please keep in mind that it still must be simple to enable and disable individual buttons. :)

Bas

mgifford
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 1:03 PM

Post #13 of 95 (83270 views)
Shortcut

Hi Benjamin,

Really excited to see that you're supporting Mozilla with this app as well. I'll be looking at incorporating v2 into a clients site later on today (who only uses IE). However as a Linux User, I am generally miffed at IE only apps..

Two little points.. There's a broken link in the initial message that goes to:
http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum.cgi?url=%2Fproducts%2Fhtmlarea%2F

Also, I looked at this site a few times looking for v3, but I couldn't find the download file.. Finally saw the attachement to this post, bt wasn't looking for it there and didn't expect it there (as I don't generally use this forum). Any way to put a link to it from the other download page?

Finally, Glad to see that you are using an Open Source License. In my reading of the license it was a BSD Style License without the advertising clause (which makes it GPL compatible)
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

In anycase.. I'm looking forward to learning more about this script.

Mike

rene@laerke.net
Novice

Feb 20, 2003, 3:34 PM

Post #14 of 95 (83164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [basmul] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When implementing this toolbar loading scheme please keep in mind that it still must be simple to enable and disable individual buttons. :)

Bas

I absolutely agree. But dont't think that has to be a problem.

One way could be extending the "array" holding the button information with a "clip"-index. Besides the original "image" reference the "clip"-index would enable faster loading, letting the browser decide whether or not to download the image file again. By default most browser would only download the image file the first time it's needed on the page.

This would enable the buttons to be grouped into a couple of "larger" files holding several buttons each. Htmlareas 20+ standard buttons could be 1 file, you buttons could be another file and lets say you have 2 extensions with a couple of buttons each. All in all that could be done by using 4 image files instead of 30+ for the old 2.03.

There is a huge difference saving 25 roundtrips to the server even on a 2MB connection.

Smile Rene'

(This post was edited by rene@laerke.net on Feb 20, 2003, 3:39 PM)

wei
User

Feb 24, 2003, 6:27 AM

Post #15 of 95 (82096 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I guess I have done what rene@laerke.net did before with version 2. I have not conducted any tests. So, not sure if it does save bandwidth, and does it slow down the script (say on a slow machine)?

The files modified were, "htmlarea.js" and "fullscreen.html"

Please see the attached file.
Attachments: htmlarea_3beta_wei.zip (60.5 KB)

rene@laerke.net
Novice

Feb 24, 2003, 4:30 PM

Post #16 of 95 (81836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wei] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Benjamin !

Thanx for the good work. But i'm sorry to say that it doesn't seem to help in the 3.0 paradigm. For the moment I must say I'm lost. Will try to look into it to see what could be the problem.

In the meantime i've installed both 3.0a (alpha) and 3.0a2 (alpha2) on my server for measuring.

Try (3.0a) : http://www.numion.com/Stopwatch/start.html?Url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.laerke.net%2Fhtmlarea30a%2Fexample.html

Try (3.0a2) : http://www.numion.com/Stopwatch/start.html?Url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.laerke.net%2Fhtmlarea30b%2Fexample.html

:-) Rene'

wei
User

Feb 24, 2003, 11:48 PM

Post #17 of 95 (81741 views)
Shortcut

But i'm sorry to say that it doesn't seem to help in the 3.0 paradigm

Not sure about your meaning, if it is DOM you are referring to, then it follows that (I think anyway). I think, the data structure to hold the buttonList should be an object.

The main thing I am not sure about, does the browser download the image file only once or more?

rene@laerke.net
Novice

Feb 25, 2003, 5:10 PM

Post #18 of 95 (81419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wei] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactly !

About the loading of images. The idear was for the browser to figure out not to load the image more than once. But that doesn't seem to go that well in 3.0 alpha.

I'm using IE 6.0 (no SP) and from what I can see the damn' thing is loading the image from the web-server. And that has the oppisite effect on performance, since the image now is larger.

A bit stuck now, Unsure hmmmm. Going back to the drawing board.....

:-) Rene'

miguelito
Novice

Feb 27, 2003, 2:31 PM

Post #19 of 95 (80041 views)
Shortcut

is the attached file in your post the last version??

I mean: I translated the htmlarea-lang-es.js from that one. is it ok??

thanks..

good work.
-----------------------------------------
Miguel Angel Hernaiz - Barcelona- Espaņa.
http://www.gnomo.net
-----------------------------------------

MLB
New User

Feb 27, 2003, 6:53 PM

Post #20 of 95 (79926 views)
Shortcut

The link in the original message for htmlarea 3.0 alpa appears to be broken. Where do I go to download this version??

Benjamin
Staff

Feb 27, 2003, 6:55 PM

Post #21 of 95 (79929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MLB] htmlArea 3: Alpha release [In reply to] Can't Post

The very first link in this thread? It seems to work okay for me...
Ben
interactivetools.com

tjreo
New User

Feb 27, 2003, 11:56 PM

Post #22 of 95 (79861 views)
Shortcut
Image Issue: Not you see them, now you don't. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello forum friends.

<intro> I am new here so here is a quick introduction. By day I am a software developer and by night I am donating some time to a few not-for-profit organizations to help create their web sites. A free (as in beer) cross-browser inline editor is something that I've have been researching for a long time. </intro>

The only way that I was able to get the icon images to show up in the editor was to insert "htmlarea/" into the following two lines of htmlarea.js. Otherwise when the editor was initializing, the images would disappear in mozilla and would become red X's in IE.

Code
this.imgURL = "htmlarea/images/"; 
this.popupURL = "htmlarea/popups/";

The images now show up fine in the editor but when I click on "Enlarge Editor", the window pops up and in mozilla the icon images disappear and in IE they become red X's because it is looking in "htmlarea/htmlarea/images/" instead of "htmlarea/images" for the fullscreen.html page. It is appending an additional "htmlarea/" to the URL. So for some reason fullscreen.html was parsing the URL properly before I made my changes.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for such a great product. I look forward to helping do more testing.

Tony
tony@coloradojensens.com

(This post was edited by tjreo on Feb 28, 2003, 12:20 AM)

mishoo
User

Feb 28, 2003, 3:34 AM

Post #23 of 95 (79813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tjreo] Image Issue: Not you see them, now you don't. [In reply to] Can't Post

You must use editorURL. imgURL and popupURL are relative to editorURL, and they usually need no changes.

In previous versions the script was looking for a global named "_editor_url", and if found was using that address as a prefix for images/popups. The _editor_url is back in the official source (unfortunately not the one found here, that's already old) and will be released (hopefully) soon.

Until then please use the following code to create the editor:

Code
var cfg = new HTMLArea.Config(); 
cfg.editorURL = "htmlarea/";
var editor = new HTMLArea("textAreaID", cfg);
// ... etc.

Hope that helps.
--
Mihai Bazon,
dynarch.com
Applied Web Standards

tjreo
New User

Feb 28, 2003, 9:12 AM

Post #24 of 95 (79654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mishoo] Image Issue: Not you see them, now you don't. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. This solution works perfectly. I will keep my eyes open for a new version. Is there a list that I can sign up for that tell when new developer verions are released?

Thanks again for your help.

mviet
New User

Mar 1, 2003, 11:53 AM

Post #25 of 95 (79233 views)
Shortcut

Suggestions: Some of my members recognize the following facts:

1) For the HtmlArea2, the source has <p> on the new line, and <br> is not. It is hard to view the source.

When to cut and paste the source to another location, the lines have tendency "not" to connect (I guess the soft key become a hard key ???)

2) With HtmlArea3, all <p> and <br> will no' be in a new line in the source. It is much harder to view.

However, when cut/paste we will not have the broken lines

Suggestion: Is that possible to have <p> and <br> on the new lines when viewing the source, and when cut and paste the source to another place, the lines should not be broken ??

Thank you,

MViet

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options)